Sunday, July 25, 2010

House Works - Chapter 2 - an excerpt (Scarcity thinking)

Yesterday while Janelle and I were sitting in the garage taking a break from cleaning (AKA procrastinating) I pulled the House Works book out, (A.N. #07202010-004) flipped to a random page, and began reading.

What I found was quite insightful into the nature of clutter and how to fight it.

I thought I would share:
_______________________________________________
House Works - Chapter 2 - Housekeeping Skill Sets [an excerpt]
(Fighting clutter from the inside out)

Scarcity thinking: "I might need it."
People with scarcity thinking refuse to part with clutter out of fear that they will not have--or will not have enough of--the goods and items they need at some future time. Result: drawers filled with folded aluminum foil and stacked egg cartons, garages drowning in bent nails and broken tools.

Deal with scarcity thinking by dragging your fear into the open and staring it down--then move past it to release the hold on your thinking. For example, confronted with a cabinet full of empty yogurt containers (no lids), ask yourself, "When was the last time that I ever used one?" An answer that ranges from "never" to "about 25 years ago" means that scarcity thinking is behind the clutter problem.

Face the fear! Remind yourself that the world is full of empty yogurt containers. Your belief that they might all disappear is just that--only a fear. Out they go, both the containers and the fear behind them.
_________________________________________________________

That's all for now! I'm working on an update to the progress on the Estate. Which I'll hopefully have posted tomorrow! (Monday)

See you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment